Sunday, October 30, 2016

Growing Up. Never.





I was in the third grade.

I remember seeing a commercial for Pokemon for the first time and my spirits flying through the roof. I had no idea what it was about, but I was intrigued by the sheer character designs and the cool looking protagonist. Every weekday at 3PM Pokemon would air on UPN and it was just as disappointing to know that I would miss it, because I usually came home from school at around 3.30. Being the freak I am, I asked my mom to record it for me on VHS everyday.

That was probably the turning point of my life in many ways. A lot of things came and went in my life, and I had even abandoned the Pokemon series after a few seasons. Yet, my love for the world of Pokemon was always lit - like the flame on a Charmander's tail.

The show and the games influenced me immensely, and Nintendo's nostalgia-driven marketing strategy is only adding more fuel to the fire after 20 years. I couldn't be more thankful that I was born in a time that allowed me to grow up with one of world's most lovable creations turned franchise turned phenomenon.

No comments:

Post a Comment